Stem cell treatment involves the introduction of cells into the damaged body tissues for the purpose of treatment. When cells are introduced into the damaged tissues, they regenerate and heal that body part. The stem cell treatment has worked in the treatment of some of the diseases like leukemia in children. The stem cells of the blood are introduced into the blood and bone marrow, where they regenerate to treat the disease. The diseases in the experimental stages include cancer, type 1 diabetes, Parkinson’s disease and heart diseases.
An Arizona based plastic surgery clinic PeoriaCosmeticSurgery.com, utilizes this treatment in tissue grafting, treating injuries to the body tissues and the skin for cosmetic purposes. Stem cell treatment has its benefits and risks, just like any other form of treatment. However, the side effects will vary from one patient to another based on factors such as, health condition of the patient, age, and the type of transplant conducted, among others. Below are some of the benefits and risks of stem cell treatment:
Benefits of stem cell treatment
- Offers potential and hope in the treatment of many diseases. Diseases affect body cells and with this kind of treatment, doctors and researchers can find a way forward to offer modern treatment for diseases like cancer, diabetes and the like.
- Provides knowledge to researchers on how human cells grow and develop. A medical researcher will be able to find out more about human body cells for effective medical practices.
- Offers more insight in the cloning and regeneration of body cells. Medical experts will be able to clone body cells and organs and at the same time improve regenerative medicine through the same technology.
- Provides hope in the field of medicine as new drugs could be tested directly on cells without having to test them on animals.
- Helps in the study of embryo growth and development. This way, it will be easier to treat defects that relate to the normal growth and development of the embryo, directly.
Risks associated with stem cell treatment
- The occurrence of Graft Vs Host Disease. It is a disease where the new stem cells introduced into the body are attacked by those of the recipient, which can lead to organ failure.
- Lung and kidney problems. This may happen due to the chemotherapy drugs induced before the transplant. Other problems that may arise due to chemotherapy include heart, thyroid, eyes, and skin problems.
- Low blood cell count. In order to generate new blood cells, the stem cells introduced have to go to the bone marrow. This may take some time and hence the low blood count. You may, therefore, experience excessive bleeding, high rate of infection, and anemia.
- Rejection may occur of the implanted stem cells
- Risks of long-term side effects
Stem cell treatment could give the field of medicine the needed break in the near future. Researchers in this sector are continually testing how this kind of treatment can be used to treat diseases and damaged tissues safely. Once this is achieved, it could impact the fields of medicine and cosmetic surgery in a huge way.